Magnet Rotor resin pouring
The rotors are laid out perfectly level outdoors . We used a mixure of 50/50 vinyl ester resin and lumina Trihydrate
Wooden disks were covered in wax to release them from the resin
resin is poured to nearly the top of the magnets
we did both rotors at the same time
Jackson observes the already hard resin only five hours later in place
The stator with the copper coils inside took a lot of reworking to get it to look this good. Next time we’ll be doing things differently. I have a section dedicated to the the stator. The bottom line is although ugly as sin this stator will work for our first try at building our alternetor.
Kevin installs the 5/16 inch all-thread into the stator. We are pretty excited because this stage has been over a year in the making.
There it is, the stator is mounted on the wind turbine housing and after a few tweaks to the adjusting nets on the all-thread the rotor spins freely!
Good view of the stator mounted in front of the magnet rotor. We gave the rotor a little spin and it produced 30 volts per coil set of which there are three, and this was with only one magnet rotor in place. Next we had to find a way to safely lower the second magnet rotor onto the alternator without damaging anything including our fingers, because there is a hellofa lot more force here than one might expect.
Since the Blacksmith shop di a bad job building the rotor disks we had more issues that we cared to admit created for us. At this point the holes they drilled for the jacking bolts to lower the rotor gently in place were drilled the wrong size and our all-thread didn’t fit in the holes, grrrrr. Time for a quick and safe plan "B".
We used the polyester wedges for Jack’s Alaska Chain mill to gently lower the rotor in place. It worked like a charm.
Lastly, the second rotor was too close to the stator and was rubbing, We had to find out if our ingenious plan of using the wedges was going to work in reverse because we needed to remove the rotor and add a washer underneath.
Of course it did! The extra washer was all the extra space we needed to get the rotors to spin freely.
After a few quick spin tests the alternator puts out a nice even 30 volts on each phase, saweet! Next we’ll break out the oscilloscope and check the waveforms, but that’ll have to wait for another day.